Tuesday, April 7, 2015

THE NEXT ADVENTURE


Even to your old age and grey hairs, I am He, I am He who will sustain you. I have made you and I will carry you; I will sustain you and I will rescue you.            Isaiah 46:4 NIV

Happy birthday to me, tomorrow. 72 of them. Not that old, but it won’t be long now.  I’ve been around enough old people, worked in geriatric medicine for enough years, to be able to read the handwriting on the wall.

Best case scenario: at least the ebbing of my strength and energy. Loneliness. Decline of sensory acuity. Illness, injury. Disability. Alzheimer’s. Food poisoning, allergies. Plane crashes. Terrorists. The economy can go south when I can’t work anymore. Global warming. Another ice age. Can’t drive anymore. The list is endless.

Know what? It doesn’t matter. The Ancient of Days, who never ages and who has promised to go with me through the valley of the shadow of death, has also promised to rescue me, sustain me, carry me all the way. That leaves me free to kick back and enjoy the adventure of old age, no fear.

Avi, how wealthy I am! Not much of this world’s riches, but You give me so many chances to learn to trust You more and more and more. Thank You with all I am. In Your holy name, Amen.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment