Wednesday, September 16, 2015

MASTER GARDENER


The one who received the seed that fell on rocky places is the man who hears the word and at once receives it with joy. But since he has no root, he lasts only a short time. When trouble or persecution comes because of the word, he quickly falls away. Matthew 13:20,21 NIV

The question was asked in Sunday School, “Why is it that faith seems to come so much easier to some people?” Words popped into my head and out of my mouth. “I think it depends on how deep He plowed their ground.”

Sitting on the front porch swing with my sister-in-law. When we ran out of this and that to talk about, she grew pensive. “My granddaughter keeps getting in with the wrong crowd. She’s made so many bad decisions, but you can’t tell her anything.”

“Jesus has her,” I said, “and maybe He needs to keep her to Himself for a while.”

“I know, and I pray for her, but…” She shook her head.

“I made a lot of bad decisions and went down some rocky paths, too. A lot of bad things happened to me, but a lot of much worse things didn’t. Wanna know what I finally realized?”

She nodded.

“Jesus made me, and He knows me. He knew exactly how much it would take to get through to me. He loved me enough to let me learn the hard way. But He didn’t want to hurt me, and He didn’t let even one thing more than I needed happen to me. He knows your granddaughter just as well, and loves her just as much. He’ll be just as careful with her.”

Avi, it’s hard to keep your balance walking across a plowed field, especially with your eyes closed. It’s even harder when you are that field getting plowed. We want our loved ones safe now, but even more we want a real and lasting faith for them. Maybe the best thing we can pray for them is that You take time to plow their ground deep. In Your holy name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment