Sunday, February 10, 2019

EULOGY



For am I now seeking the approval of human beings, or of God? Or am I trying to please people? If I were still trying to please people, I would not be a servant of Christ.            Galatians 1:10 NIV

Saturday was a rare day for me. I don’t usually spend time comparing myself with others.

Crowded funeral. Eulogy for a modest 91-year-old saint, a longtime member of our congregation. Example after example of his Christ-like spirit and love for others, his hospitality, his generosity with time, energy and resources. Reflections on how he’s enjoying Heaven now in the company of friends and family gone on, conjecture about his rewards. 

I sat there listening, wondering what the preacher might one day have to say about me. My gift isn’t so visible. My labors aren’t so obvious and outward, especially to casual observers.   

But you never know who’s watching, or how hard they’re looking, or what they’re seeing, or what light they’re shining on you. Each person, no matter how open or insightful or intuitive, interprets what he/she is seeing in the light of his/her own ideas and life experience. Not something to fret about, unless you notice they’re missing out on something great by not really seeing what’s there.

What do I want folks to remember about me? Like Nehemiah, I’m a little more concerned about what my God remembers me for: “Remember me, O my God, for good.” Nehemiah 13:31

No matter how small my task seems to me or to other people, little is much when God is in it.

And Heaven, my rewards? Yeah, I want my new body and my new house and my white horse and a good job and lots of rewards—but no worries. He’ll be fair.

So the preacher can say whatever he wants. I hope by then our new preacher knows me well enough to get it right. But it’s OK if he doesn’t. Jesus, my very great reward, knows me all the way through.

Avi, like Abram, I cling to Your comfort and Your promise: “Do not be afraid, Abram. I am your shield, your very great reward.” You are enough, Avi, both now and forevermore. In Your Holy Name, Amen.    


Bottom of Form


No comments:

Post a Comment