Tuesday, November 25, 2014

GOT JOY?


Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scornful of its shame, and sat down at the right hand of God. Consider Him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart. Hebrews 12:2, 3 NIV
Got joy?
What is joy, anyway? Where does it come from? How do we get some?
Not happiness. Happiness depends on what happens to you. Lots of things can make it go away, from stubbing your toe to losing the big game to getting jilted. Joy is independent of what happens. Joy exists in the presence of, in spite of, things that go wrong: pain, loss, disappointment, sickness, grief, frustration, exhaustion, put-downs, bullies, you name it.
Joy comes from the One who made us in His own image.
And, just as I can do nothing to make Him love me more, nothing to make Him love me less, His joy doesn’t depend on my successes and failures. He loves me anyway. And, He rejoices over me with songs of joy.
I come to You in this season of thanksgiving to thank You for enjoying me, Avi, and for letting me enjoy You. Nothing else drives home to me how much You love me, how valuable I am to You, how so not worthless I am. In Your holy name, Amen
 

No comments:

Post a Comment