Tuesday, November 11, 2014

JARS OF CLAY


You, O LORD, keep my lamp burning; my God turns my darkness into light.                              Psalm 18:28 NIV

       As I drove to an early morning assignment, a shadow lay across my soul. The night sky softened, and sunrise began to play hide-and-seek among trees lining the highway. A fire-edged blue cloud appeared above a distant line of hills—and was gone. Afraid I’d miss the brief sunrise, I sped around a sharp curve.
 
       Straight ahead, a majestic fireball sat enthroned on the horizon, draped in robes of dark pewter cloud, an endless soft blue stretching beyond it. My breath left me and, like Job, I put my hand over my mouth.

     
  We’re candles in the darkness, reflections of the light that cannot be overcome by darkness. 
But we hold His light in fragile earthen vessels.  The weight of this broken creation threatens to crush us. We tremble and cry out for relief.


       Then a window opens in heaven and, if we but look, we catch a glimpse of a world beyond, a soft reminder of His loving presence. Jesus is still enthroned at the right hand of the Father. Our God reigns, even in the darkest hour before dawn.

Prayer: Our Father, teach us to seek Your light in every dark valley. Help us to fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. In Your holy name, Amen

 

 

 

1 comment: