Tuesday, January 27, 2015

BOUQUET


Each heart knows its own bitterness, and no one else can share its joy.  Proverbs 14:10  (NIV)

 

Chemotherapy is hard, and sometimes lonely. Even those who have known this path, no matter how much they love you, cannot walk exactly where you walk. One close friend, overwhelmed by his mother’s long battle with cancer, couldn’t offer the support I needed.

Though I accepted this, sharing my frustration felt like an accusation. I needed to tactfully clear the air between us. Hoping I’d have enough energy left, I arranged to see him after my next doctor’s appointment.

Exhausted and apprehensive, I pulled into the cancer center’s parking lot and found a place in the back row, next to a landscaped area. I liked to park there because the wooded strip reminded me that God, who created these plants with love, created and redeemed me with even more love. It reminded me that there is a Friend like no other, who knows me intimately and still likes me, who knows just where the enemy’s arrows strike me, who has been this way before and takes every step with me now.

Ninety minutes later, too tired to feel His presence, I limped across the parking lot to my truck. “Oh, great!” I thought. “Something’s fallen on the windshield. Where will I find the energy to move it?” 

I unlocked the door, put my book on the seat, and leaned around to clear the debris—then stopped and wept. The debris was an arrangement of cupped leaf, lacy fern, and a large red blossom.

I looked, and no other vehicle was so graced.  Why my truck?

Because this was a love letter from the One who knew my need, the One who will never leave me nor forsake me.

Avi, thank You for being my surefooted Guide, but more, thank You for loving me, for wanting to share this journey with me, for wanting me to succeed, for wanting me to make it home safe. Thank You for adopting me. In Your holy name, Amen.

 

 

1 comment: