Tuesday, February 17, 2015

THE PRIZE

Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the Author and Perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2 NIV

Watching "The Easter Experience”, video series by Kyle Idleman, number whatever, the beating of Jesus dramatized.

The pole, complete with chain and wrist cuffs. The many-tailed flagellum with its embedded stones and razor-sharp pieces of bone floating through the air in slow motion. The shredded, bloody back.

The women, grief-stricken. One soldier puzzled, questioning. Others callow, joking, scarfing down food as they watched.

The face of Jesus: grief, pity, determination; the recoil of pain as the crown of thorns was pressed onto His head and soldiers bowed in a mockery of worship.

Arrogant Pharisees, satisfied that they had Him at last.

The camera pans from sight to sight in silence.

The silence is broken by the voice of a child singing: “Baruch ata, Adonai, Elohenu, Adonai echad…” (Blessed are You, Lord, our God, the Lord is One…)

Baruch: blessed, happy, joyful. The context is peace.

Blessed? Happy? Joyful? At peace? No way. Unless the prize is worth it. And what is that priceless prize?

A bunch of sinners—including me.

Who am I, that a King should die for me?

I am His child.

Avi, thank You for the hard, lonely lessons that taught me just how much I need You. Thank You for washing me clean and taking me into Your own family, for giving me new life abundant with You, for being my home in this broken, rootless world. Let me never forget what it cost You. In Your holy name, Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 comment: