Wednesday, February 17, 2016

THE TURTLE


 
But when you pray, go into your room, close the door, and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. Matthew 6:6 NIV

Sunday School lesson: Zebedee’s wife asked Jesus, “Please let my sons sit on Your right and left in Heaven.” Jesus answered, “That isn’t mine to grant; My Father will choose.”

The teacher said, “I think we’ll walk in, look up and see Jesus on the throne, then stop in shock at the sight of those sitting beside Him. We’ll say, ‘Who are they?’ Because they’ll be people nobody ever heard of, people who did their mighty works in some quiet, lonely corner behind the scenes: prayer warriors.”

At once a picture popped into my head: an elderly woman I knew, bedbound and smiling, surrounded by phone and prayer journals.

What if it were you? How would I feel if it were me? I’d be incredibly honored, thrilled beyond words to be close enough to my Savior to lay my head against His heart as John did at the last supper.

But wait.

I’ve read that Alex Haley, author of Roots, has a picture over his desk of a turtle perched atop a fencepost. The message? “It didn’t get where it is by itself, and neither did I.”

Neither did I, in this world or the next. Surely those who stood behind me, affirmed me, encouraged me, upheld me in prayer, helped me on my journey through this life have a share in whatever fruit I’ve borne. Surely they deserve a share in whatever rewards and honors I’m blessed with. Surely they, not I, deserve this seat beside Him.

Avi, when I imagine being close to You in Heaven, I see myself on Your shoulders as You show me around. I see us walking together, or riding side by side across fertile plains, or working together on some carpentry project. When I imagine us indoors, I’m at a table, looking at You way up there across the crowd—not seated beside You in the highest place of honor with all of Heaven watching.
I’m proud of You, Avi. I’m honored to be seen with You—but I have no love for the public stage. Here in this world, I can’t imagine such a place of visible honor. But there? No seat will be a place of dishonor. No seat will be a place removed from You. Choose for me, Avi.

In Your holy name, Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment