Wednesday, January 23, 2019

MOONSHINE



In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven. Matthew 5:16 NIV

I sat outside one summer night because it was reported that Mars would be visible just below the moon and a little to the right. I held one hand just so, then both hands, to block the moonlight from both eyes and let me see the sky field. But there was spotty cloud cover, and they didn’t say how far below or how far to the right. I never saw Mars, so I sat there watching the moon.

My thinker turned on. Thinking about being a moon for Jesus.

The moon has no light of its own—but in the bright light of a full moon, you can see well enough to walk without stumbling. You can see to walk across the yard and not step in dog poopy, if the grass is short enough. You can even see to read, if you stand with your back to the moon and the print is large enough and close enough to your face, and if there’s enough contrast.

The moon has no light of its own. Nor have we, citizens of this broken world. Just as the moon reflects the light of our sun into Earth’s night, so we, children of the Living God, are to reflect the Light of the Son into Earth’s spiritual night, lighting it with His glory, His majesty, His love.

But sometimes I don’t feel like light. Sometimes I feel dark. When I get so tired I let my emotions overwhelm me, it’s time to step back for some one-on-one time with the Son. Maybe even a nap in His arms, working on my tan.

Thank You for bringing me in from the darkness to Your Living Light, Avi. Wipe away any specks of dirt You find that sully Your reputation. Smooth the rough craters in me that cast shadows and distort Your image. Let people see Your true Light in me.

In Your holy Name, Amen.




No comments:

Post a Comment