Wednesday, October 7, 2015

REFUGE


Simon Peter answered him, “Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.              John 6:68,69 NIV

Ever want to run away from home? Take a sabbatical? A vacation? Even a staycation, if you can send everyone else off on the real thing?

A private writer’s retreat? Buy a tent and head for the wilderness? No electricity. Anybody invent a solar power source for my laptop yet? 

A lunatic asylum? Check into writers’ rehab? Nah. Doubt they’d let me bring my dogs.

Library study room? An empty room at church when nobody else is there? Again, no dogs allowed. How can I write without my little canine encouragers and crit buddies?

That’s why I invested a goodly portion of my little pension account to build my creative solitude cottage—but even that isn’t 100% distraction proof.

No place in this world, however homey and fitting it feels, is a true and lasting refuge without Him who is our refuge.

Remember this old Southern Gospel song?

 
Where could I go, oh, where could I go,            
Needing a refuge for my soul?
Needing a friend to save me in the end,
Where could I go but to the Lord?

 
Where, indeed?

This broken world is full of wondrous beauties, Avi, but You said it hasn’t even entered the mind of man what You’re preparing for us. I look forward to exploring that perfect home with You. How much more the chance to explore You, to learn more of who You are and what You are. But must I wait? Give me more of You even now, Avi.

No comments:

Post a Comment