Tuesday, December 1, 2015

I QUIT


“Lord, if it’s you,” Peter replied, “tell me to come to you on the water.”  
“Come,” he said.      
Then Peter got down out of the boat, walked on the water and came toward Jesus. But when he saw the wind, he was afraid and, beginning to sink, cried out, “Lord, save me!”    
Immediately Jesus reached out his hand and caught him. “You of little faith,” he said, “why did you doubt?”   
And when they climbed into the boat, the wind died down.
                  Matthew 14:28-32 NIV

If Peter can walk on water, why can’t I ____ ____ ____ ___?  If you’re here, too, fill in your own blanks.

For me it’s, if Peter can walk on water, why can’t I finish a book? Writing one, that is.

Same reason Peter almost lost it.

I was doing pretty good, until I took my eyes off the prize.  For me, the storm that pulled my eyes from both the task and the One who enables us was technology. I can write. I can use the word processing functions of my computer, no problem.

But when the need to build a platform blew in, it brought with it the need to learn more and more about my other tools, specifically the seductive time trap of social media. And, with it, the need to flounder in the how-to’s of all these things.  

Satan’s pretty good at kicking up storms in our lives. One of his favorite squalls is to get us too busy. Doesn’t matter if the detour has a legitimate purpose or not. If it isn’t what I’m given by my real Boss to do right now, it isn’t what I should be spending my time on right now.  

I can finish a book—if I can concentrate on that book. So, as of now, officially, I quit. I quit spinning my wheels on what I’m not given to do. Bye-bye, Facebook. Bye-bye, formal market research. Bye-bye Pinterest and Twitter and whoever the rest of you are.

Master of all seas, save me! Reach out Your hand and rescue me as You rescued Peter. Calm this storm of doubt in me, and set me back on my feet at Your side. Help me to do what You’ve given me to do, Avi, so that I might hear You say, “Well done, good and faithful servant.” In Your holy name, Amen.

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment