Thursday, January 14, 2016

WHO CAN YOU TRUST?


Keep your lives free from the love of money and be content with what you have, because God has said, “Never will I leave you; never will I forsake you.   Hebrews 13:5 NIV

1.6 billion dollars.

It’s a good thing I can pay for my gas at the pump. Can’t go into the store to pay for it without a long wait because of the crowds buying lottery tickets and talking about what they’ll do with the money when they win.

I can get into that. Pay off all our family debt. Big family. Top out the church building fund. Pave the driveway. Fill the garden with rich loam. Put in a way better fence set in a deep concrete base. Or wait, buy the pasture that surrounds us and put the fence around that. Oh, yeah, and a big expensive RV with room for my canine girls to travel with us. How about RV’s for the whole family? How about a personal computer tutor?

But I didn’t play. I guess I’m pretty weird, because I don’t want to win that money. For several reasons.

I don’t want to spend the rest of my life taking care of money. I don’t want to spend my days thinking about money.

I don’t want to fend off all the outstretched hands coming out of the woodwork.

I don’t want to have to be continually guessing whether people like me for myself or for their hope of what’s in it for them.

I don’t want to have to hire a social secretary to protect the solitude that’s so vital to me.  

Most of all, I don’t want money to come between me and my God. I know myself—and it wouldn’t be long before I was trusting the money instead of Him.

Money will forsake me. Youth and health will fail me. But Jesus will not forsake me, and He’ll never fail me.

Avi, my brother-in-law used to say, whenever he thought someone was asking too often for help, “I didn’t take you on to raise.” But You did, Avi. You saw my need and took me into Your own home, Your own family. Help me to thank You with my life. In Your holy name.

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment